Location, location, location – it’s a mantra in the property industry when it comes to renting or buying homes, but who knew it could also apply to the way property companies approach their digital marketing?! At Passion we work with many property brands on their digital marketing strategies, so we’ve seen firsthand the importance of localisation. It matters across a range of areas, from search targeting for PPC to the need to approach SEO from a local perspective for organic activity.
Local SEO for the Property Market
What is local SEO?
Local SEO is the practice of optimising your business’s online presence to appear in localised search results. While most of the same SEO techniques apply, you’ll want to focus more on geographical proximity, prominence and relevance when trying to boost search performance in your local area. And with local SEO, it’s not just about your website. You’ll also need to make sure your business listings are optimised – your Google My Business listing being a top priority. It’s a free and valuable resource that’s essential in any local SEO strategy.
Why is local SEO important in the property market?
Given the industry’s emphasis on location location location, it’s essential for any property business to focus on this as part of their wider marketing strategy – including digital. In 2018, Google revealed that 46% of all Google searches are from users looking for results near them. That’s high enough to make anyone pay attention, especially businesses that are reliant on local customers.
Here are a few stats outlining just how important localisation is in search:
- 18% of local mobile searches lead to a sale within one day
- 78% of local-based searches on a mobile device end in purchases being made offline
- 97% of consumers looked online for local businesses in 2017, with 12% looking for a local business online every day
Top tips for local SEO
On top of implementing a strong SEO strategy, your business can:
- Create and optimise a Google My Business listing, as well as utilising other directories
- Ask users to give your business online reviews
- Optimise your site for voice search
- Acquire local backlinks
- Optimise your website with location keywords that are applicable to your business
- Create location-based landing pages
- Include consistent NAP (name, address, phone number) across all channels
- Add structured data
- Be mobile-friendly
- Produce localised content
If you need some assistance with SEO, whether your business is in the property sector or not, we’d love to help. Please get in touch to see how we can help your business improve its local SEO strategy.
PPC Location Targeting for the Property Market
What is it?
Location targeting (also known as geotargeting) involves targeting an audience in a specific area. It is a strategy used throughout the paid media world and is particularly useful for location-sensitive industries.
Why is location targeting important in the property market?
Location targeting is a great way to get in front of the right audience while still keeping costs low. Google Ads gives you great flexibility to target those in a specific location. For example, if a real estate business is looking to sell a property in a certain area or wants to attract local tenants, you can set the targeting so that ads will only show to those physically in or interested in that location. This targeting goes all the way down to postcode level! Location targeting reduces spend on non-target customers, allowing you to optimise your budget for significant improvements to your all-important ROI.
Top tips for PPC location targeting
On top of a good keyword bidding strategy and relevant audience targeting, you can:
- Put the location you are targeting in your ad copy – this can improve keyword quality scores and ad strength, meaning higher rankings and positions on the search page.
- Filter out the unwanted – exclude certain locations and build up a strong negative keyword list of unwanted locations.
If you need assistance with your PPC strategy, we work with all types of businesses and want to hear from you! Get in touch with our wonderful team to start achieving your pay per click goals.
Good Things Come to Those Who Locate
Don’t get caught out – put our SEO and PPC teams’ tips into action today to make sure your business has the best chance of success in a crowded market.
When brands use location targeting as part of their digital marketing strategies, they are able to produce more relevant messaging for their audiences. With the overwhelming amount of ads fed to consumers each day, personalisation is key to ensuring your ads perform well.
However, there are a few things to keep in mind before diving into your location targeting optimisations:
- Ensure you are using the correct location – some locations are easily confused, such as Newquay (Cornwall) and New Quay (Wales)
- Beware of competing campaigns – if you have businesses located close together that are all using location targeting, you can end competing against yourself. Instead, consider segmenting campaigns by product or service rather than location.
Consider the culture and language of the location you are targeting – is your copy in the right language? Is your messaging relevant for people living in that location?
Get Our Expert Advice
We can help any business with their digital marketing needs – whether you specialise in property or not! Get in touch to find out how we can help you achieve your digital marketing goals, SEO or otherwise.Or, if you’re interested in the latest trends in property, check out our blog on the rise of PropTech and don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for our weekly news roundups, where our specialist teams sum up what’s happening in their worlds.